Monday, January 17, 2011

On This Day

This day, the celebration of the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., will always be a day that I will celebrate. Dr. King is and always will be a hero of mine. I feel that if it was not for Dr. King (and many others along side him) and his fight for civil rights, I would not have many chances in this world that I have today. See, Dr. King is a person who fought for all people and our world. Yes, he fought for the rights of his people, but during all that, he was fighting for all. People of all races, not just one race. He wanted equality for all. And that is why he is one of my greatest heroes.

Dr. King, was a person who, from a young age, has helped to form the way I look at this world. I have not and never will be party in any form of discrimination. I will never be party to causing the oppression of another. I refuse to hate another. I refuse to cause another harm. My fight will always be peaceful and with respect for all. I will always fight for the rights of all people, no matter who they are. I will always fight for us, as a world, to be just that. We are all human and are all in the same boat in the end. I will always fight for peace, tolerance, and understanding between all people in our world. I will always fight for equality. When I say equality, I mean true equality. True equality is where all people are equal on all levels, no matter who they are, what they look like, no matter their gender or sexual orientation. I will always fight for a world where no one, not one single person, is below another. We are all equal, we are all human, we are one.

I will also say that I will always fight for the rights of animals and the protection of our environment. I feel that they all are a part of this life and are in the same boat . We, as a world, need to simply learn to take care of each other. We all need to protect each other. By protecting each other, we protect ourselves. I always hear people saying that war will always exist. That hate will always exist. Well, I stand here and say that I refuse to agree or believe any of this. As long as I breathe, I will always strive to live peacefully and help others to find that peace, both within themselves and with each other.

I feel that if it was not for those like Dr. King, I never have to choose which race that I want to be and I will never choose to be one or another. If anyone ever asks my race, I first will say I am human, period. I am never ashamed of any part of who I am. Yes, I am what one would call bi-racial, mixed, mulatto, or multiracial. In all honesty, none of that really means anything to me. It is just a label. The only label I will wear is human. I will always see the differences between us all as a thing of beauty. I will always celebrate our differences. I will never judge another because of our differences. I refuse to judge a person by what their skin tone is, what their sexual orientation is, what gender they are.

As I said before, I will never be party to the discrimination of anyone because of who they are. Because, if I did, I’d see it as discriminating against a brother, a sister, myself. What we do to one, we do to all. What actions we take affects the world, no matter how big or small. We all live in the same home, Mother Earth. We all breathe the same breath. We all drink from the same water. We all eat the same food. We all bleed the same blood. We are one.

My dream is much the same as that of Dr. King. As most of us know, he said, “"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." My personal hopes and dreams for this world is all peoples in this world will be able to walk freely, without hate, discrimination, and oppression always being at their backs. My dream is of a world where war is not the answer. My dream is that we will be able to drink straight from the streams again. My dream is that we will live in a world where genocide does not exist. My dream is of people freely and openly loving whomever it is that they love. My dream is that everyone in this world can walk down a street without have the fear of being harmed or killed. My dream is that people can dance under the sun and stars together. My dream is that our animal friends no longer get hurt, lose their homes, or lose their lives. My dream is equality, true equality. My dream is PEACE!

So I will end this by saying Thank You Dr. King. Thank you Ryan White. Thank You Rosa Parks. Thank You Mahatma Ghandi. Thank You Dr. Wayne Dyer. Thank You Dennis Banks. Thank You John Lennon. Thank You Mother Theresa. Thank You Dalai Lama. Thank You Peace Pilgrim. Thank You Bob Marley. Thank You Leonard Peltier. Thank you Maya Angelou. Thank You Emmanuel Jal. Thank You Robert Mirabal. Thank You Dian Fossey. Thank You Michael Jackson. Thank you Deepak Chopra. Thank You to the peacemakers, the peace creators, the peacekeepers. Thank you to all who fought for the right of others. Thank You to all who stood up when everyone else quit. Thank You to those you gave their lives. Thank You to all who dedicated and gave their lives for other people. And Thank You All for being you. I love you all to peaces.

Much love, one love.
Chieko Ross
Written by Chieko Ross on January 17, 2010 ©
http://thetyedyelillypad.blogspot.com/

Here are some beautiful quotes by beautiful people.
"We must protect the forests for our children, grandchildren and children yet to be born. We must protect the forests for those who can't speak for themselves such as the birds, animals, fish and trees." -Qwatsinas (Hereditary Chief Edward Moody), Nuxalk Nation
“Be the change you want to see in the world.” -Mahatma Gandhi
“I hope that people will finally come to realize that there is only one ‘race’ – the human race- and that we are all members of it. –Margaret Atwood
It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is beauty and there is strength. –Maya Angelou
The way of peace is the way of love. Love is the greatest power on earth. It conquers all things. --Peace Pilgrim
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. –Jimi Hendrix

No comments:

Post a Comment