Sunday, January 30, 2011

A Legacy of Love

There are times in our lives when we must say goodbye. It could be someone moving, someone you once loved separating ways, or saying goodbye to a loved one for the final time. As I have gone through life, I have had to say goodbye for the final time, many times.

Some of them I knew my whole life. Others I had never met. Some, I had the blessing of meeting a few times. Nonetheless, every single one of those lives meant the world to me. See, to me life is one of the most important things in this world. However, equally as important is how you spent your time in this world and what you leave behind.

In the recent months, I had the blessing to meet one of the most peaceful and beautiful souls I have ever met. Though I only got the chance to be in her presence twice, she became a very important person to me. Just getting to meet her was a true and wonderful gift.

I could be selfish and say something like, “it is not fair that she was taken so soon before I got to know her better.” In the end, that is not how I see it. Yes, as grieving can go, I went through some of these emotions. Of course, I would have loved to be around her and in her presence for years to come, but that simply was not to be. The moments I was given to be in her presence were some of the greatest gifts that I could ask for.

Through those around her, I felt I got to somewhat know her. She is a woman who was humble, kind, generous, and simply an amazing human being. She was a woman who was not one to say a negative word against anyone. She was a woman who loved her children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. In just one evening, I experienced the beautiful light that she was and is. In just one evening, she was a woman who became someone who I will forever look to as an example of how to spread peace in this world. She was and is one of the strongest women that I ever had the honor of meeting. I say is, because if you personally know whom I am speaking of, you know that the glow of her presence passes through any boundaries that are present in this physical world.

I recently have gotten to hear some words spoken by someone very close to me. He spoke about her legacy. I know that her legacy will be the love and kindness that she left behind when she moved on to better places. I know that her legacy is in her children and grandchildren. I know this because I have gotten to feel the love of one of her grandchildren. Though different, it is yet the same love that she passed on to him. The gentleness, respect, kindness, and beauty that are a part of his soul are part of the same legacy. The peace that he brings to my life is also part of the peace that she gave to this world.

I know in my heart, that no matter what, I will pass on the peace and love that she gave to me in those few moments of being around her. I will always be honored that, someday, I will be blessed with helping to carry on her legacy. I know that, someday, I will be honored, beside the one I love, to instill her legacy that she passed on to her family in future generations. I will always be honored to have known her at all.

To some, she was known as Mary. To others, she was known as mother or Nana. To some she was a saint. To me, she is a guardian angel watching over all those that she loves. Yes, loves, not loved. She is and will be greatly missed in this world. But, more than that, she will be preciously remembered.

With that, I will leave you all with this. Always try to be a kind and peaceful presence in the lives of others. Always let those around you feel and know your love. Live every moment as it was the most precious. Hold tight to the good things in life and let the negatives go. Always try to leave the world in a better place than you found it. Because, though you may leave behind money or belongings, in the end, things do not really matter. It is your Legacy of Love that matters most. Much love to each of you. May your hearts always be full and your lives filled with love. May many moments of peace and blessings be a part of your lives.


With respect

Chieko Ross


Written by Chieko D. Ross on January 30, 2011 ©

No comments:

Post a Comment